Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Fresh Pumpkin From Bridgetown Market


I visit the Bridgetown market every Saturday morning to purchase fruits, vegetables, and other fresh ingredients needed for my cooking and baking. Fresh pumpkin is always on my shopping list, and I look for ones which have dark orange flesh, promising to be sweet and flavourful. Barbados pumpkin is available all year around and there are a variety of different species which are locally grown.

I use fresh pumpkin primarily to make Pumpkin Ginger soup with added hot cayenne pepper, but also to add to my favourite stews and stir fry vegetable dishes. For baking purposes, I use canned pumpkin which is less watery than fresh. Our whole wheat Pumpkin Walnut Bread is loaded with raisins and roasted walnuts, and lightly spiced with nutmeg and allspice. Along with the traditional rum cakes, mince pies and fruit cakes, our Pumpkin Walnut Bread is a terrific addition during the festive season.

No comments:

Post a Comment